The American Quarter Horse Association is proud to sponsor the National Cutting Horse Association’s largest event of the year, AQHA-NCHA Weekend, June 1-3 in 25 cities throughout the United States and Canada.
AQHA-NCHA Weekend is cutting’s biggest celebration of its grassroots participants, and this year, all of the shows are dual-approved. Points earned in designated classes will count toward qualification for the youth, amateur, Select and open AQHA world championship shows.
“A large percentage of the horses that compete in NCHA are American Quarter Horses, and this nationwide weekend of cutting is a great opportunity to spotlight the crossover between NCHA and AQHA,” said Tom Persechino, AQHA executive director of competition and breed integrity. “We are excited for our partnership with NCHA and the large number of horses and riders who will qualify for AQHA world championship shows during AQHA-NCHA Weekend.”
As most cutters know, the AQHA world shows offer big prize money, so AQHA-NCHA Weekend is a great opportunity to earn qualifying points and take a run at great purses. The amateur cutting finals for the 2012 Bank of America Amateur World Championship Show should reach $60,000, and the junior and senior cutting finals during the 2012 FedEx Open World Championship Show offers more than $100,000 combined, with 100 percent of entry fees paid back.
AQHA classes will be offered at least one day at each of the AQHA-NCHA Weekend shows and will usually be held as a class-within-a-class of the corresponding NCHA class. NCHA members who also have an individual AQHA membership and show an American Quarter Horse under its AQHA registered name will be eligible to earn AQHA points toward qualification for the 2012 AQHA, the 2013 Built Ford Tough Youth and 2013 Adequan Select world championship shows.
World Show Qualification
Qualification points for the AQHA world shows will work as follows:
- AQHA points earned in the NCHA open class will count toward qualification for the 2012 FedEx Open World in AQHA’s senior division (horses 6 years and older).
- The AQHA junior class, for horses 5 years and younger, will be offered within the NCHA $10,000 novice horse class, and those points will count toward junior cutting.
- AQHA points earned in the NCHA non-pro class will count toward qualification for the 2012 Bank of America Amateur World or for the 2013 Adequan Select World.
- AQHA points earned in the NCHA youth class will count toward qualification for the 2013 Ford Youth World.
To qualify for the 2012 AQHA World Show’s amateur cutting, exhibitors must have at least three points. To qualify for the 2012 AQHA World Show’s junior or senior cutting, exhibitors must have 4.5 points.
With 25 locations during the June 1-3 weekend, AQHA-NCHA Weekend is a great opportunity for cutters of all skill levels to earn AQHA points.
2012 NCHA Weekend
Area – Location – Dates – Affiliate
1. Moses Lake, Washington, June 1-3, Washington Cutting Horse Association
2. Bakersfield, California, June 1-3, Kern County CHA
3. Delta, Utah, June 1-2, Central Utah CHA
4. Dillon, Montana, June 2-3, Montana CHA
5. Farmington, New Mexico, June 1-3, Four Corners Cutting Horse Club
6. Huron, South Dakota, June 2-3, South Dakota CHA
7. Lyons, Kansas, June 2-3, Kansas CHA
8. Ada, Oklahoma, June 1-2, Southern Oklahoma CHA
9. Graham, Texas, June 1-3, PK Cutters
10. Brenham, Texas, June 2-3, Central Texas CHA
11. Amarillo, Texas, June 1-3, Palo Duro CHA
12. Iowa Falls, Iowa, June 2-3, Iowa CHA
13. DuQuoin, Illinois, June 1-3, Mid State Illinois CHA
14. Batesville, Mississippi, June 1-3, Mid South CHA
15. Swanton, Ohio, June 1-3, Great Lakes CHA
16. Lady Lake, Florida, June 2-3, Florida CHA
17. Lewisburg, West Virginia, June 2-3, East Coast CHA
18. N. Augusta, South Carolina, June 2-3, Area 18 CHA
19. Hamburg, Pennsylvania, June 2-3, Pennsylvania CHA
20. Claresholm, Alberta, June 1-3, Alberta CHA
21. Codrington, Ontario, June 2-3, Ontario CHA
22. Franklin, Tennessee, June 1-3, Area 22 CHA
23. Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan, June 2-3, Saskatchewan CHA
24. Athens, Texas, June 1-2, Area 24 Affiliates
25. Carthage, Missouri, June 1-3, Ozark Mountain CHA