The San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo will host the first event this year for the Mercuria NCHA World Series of Cutting. Star-studded fields will ride to the herd in the first round of the Open and Non-Pro, with the finals of the $25,000-added events scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 14.
World Champion Riders Matt Gaines, Pete Branch, Lindy Burch, Chubby Turner, Kobie Wood and Faron Hightower are among the 41 entries in the Open division.
The Open field includes Super Stakes Champion Olenasduallyfeather, recent NCHA Futurity Reserve Champion Bet Shes Smooth, NCHA Non-Pro Futurity Champions Donas Suen Boon and Woodys Bad Boy, and two-time Mercuria NCHA World Finals winner CR Sun Reys,
Highlighting the Non-Pro division are Joe Howard Williamson, Mary Jo Milner, Constance Jaeggi and Dan Hanson, who own a combined 15 NCHA Non-Pro World titles.
Williamson, Milner and Jaeggi will be riding Sweet Little Cats, Saguaro Ichi, and Smooth Asa Zee, respectively, horses the played a role in their most recent World Championships.
Offering a total of $50,000 in added money at each series event, the Mercuria NCHA World Series of Cutting has become a highlight of the annual cutting horse competition year attracting highly competitive horses and riders to the event in their quest for NCHA World Champion and Horse of the Year honors.
2016 Mercuria NCHA World Series of Cutting Tentative Schedule:
- February 13-14, San Antonio Stock Show, San Antonio, Texas
- February 26-27, Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Houston, Texas
- June 17-18, PCCHA Derby – Classic Challenge, Las Vegas, Nevada
- July 11-13, Calgary Stampede, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- August TBA, Las Vegas CHA Futurity, Las Vegas, Nevada
- August 29-30, Idaho Futurity, Nampa, Idaho
- September 15-16, El Rancho Futurity, Rancho Murieta, California
- October TBA, All American Quarter Horse Congress, Columbus, Ohio